FEST interior advice:
How to keep your upholstery beautiful?
Each fabric needs its own maintenance, some more than others. Velours is fairly easy to clean, wool has to be vacuumed more often. But there are also a few points that apply to all fabrics:
1. Avoid direct sunlight on your furniture as much as possible. Although some fabrics are more sun-resistant than others, each fabric can discolour to a greater or lesser extent under the influence of light.
2. All fabrics are susceptible to damage from sharp objects, toys, pet nails and the like.
3. Vacuum your sofa once a week to prevent the dirt that was already in the sofa from entering when you spill something. Always vacuum with the grain and with a soft brush. Another thing we care for, is that the fabrics of our rugs, pillows and upholstery comply with the REACH regulations. This European regulation obliges member companies to register the use and risks of dangerous chemicals and substitute them with less dangerous ones if needed.
Help, a stain! What should I do?
1. Always remove stains in fabrics as quickly as possible. Blot the stain with a dry white cloth (never rub!) And repeat a few more times if necessary.
2. Light stains can be removed with (warm) water. Do not overly wet the stain and always use distilled water to avoid water rings.
3. After cleaning, let your furniture dry completely before using it again.
4. Impregnated your furniture with Protection (by Protexx), but can't get the stain out? Then contact us.
What is Protection (by Protexx)?
Stains often quickly penetrate the fiber of the fabric and are difficult to remove. With a Protection (by Protexx) treatment, the fabric is impregnated before delivery of the furniture, so stains can no longer penetrate the fiber. This makes it easier to clean the fabric if it gets stained. With the Protection service, your furniture is insured against the most common stains for the first 5 years and, if necessary, it is professionally cleaned at your home.
Which fabrics are pet- and kidsproof?
Unfortunately, every fabric is sensitive in a way, so it's never fully cat- and dog-proof, but there are some solutions. Is your cat or dog allowed to lie on your sofa? Then choose a colour that makes the hair of your pet less noticeable. Do you have a cat? Then we recommend a sturdy, tightly woven fabric. By the way, it seems that most cats do not like velours, but you can never be completely sure with those fickle little creatures!
For children we recommend polyester - like velours - with a Protection (by Protexx) treatment. This is not only a protective layer that prevents stains, but also provides a five-year warranty.
Do not clean your furniture with this
Never use cleaning agents other than those we have recommended. If you don't have Protection (by Protexx), we recommend using the James starter set to remove stains from furniture.
What fabric is the least polluting for the environment?
Natural fabrics have the least impact on the environment. A natural fabric is a fabric that is not chemically produced, such as a wool or cotton fabric. Chemically produced fabrics such as polyester take a lot more energy to produce. In addition, petroleum is used in that process. On the other hand, more water is used to produce natural fabrics. Besides, a polyester sofa goes a long way because the fabric is strong and it’s fairly easy to clean. Therefore, it can still be a sustainable choice. Basically, there’s no clear answer on what’s ‘best’.
It's also important to make sure that the substance complies with the REACH regulations. This European regulation obliges member companies to map the use of hazardous chemicals.
This is what the Martindale tells about your furniture
Do you want your fabric to last? Then make sure it has a high Martindale. A what? A high Martindale. The Martindale test examines how quickly a fabric wears. It is an internationally recognized test that measures how quickly the threads wear when flat fabrics or pile fabrics become bare under a certain pressure. The highest Martindale figure achievable is 100,000. In an average family situation, at least a Martindale of 15,000 is recommended. Busy family with many children where the furniture is used a lot? Then go for a Martindale from 40,000. Find Martindale per fabric here.
We work with talented product designers. Newcomers & oldtimers. Big names & talented freshmen.